Saturday, March 17, 2012

Moving Towards a Big Boy Bed

 When the baby arrives, that little babe will be residing in the nursery. Since we currently have an occupant in this room, we decided we need to start the process of moving him into his big boy room. 
 Our first step was to create a "big boy" room for Grayson downstairs. We currently are in the process of finishing it, but for now it has a ultra cozy twin bed, his train table, some toys, a dresser and nightstand. It's really coming together. It has become a room we spend time in nearly every day. 

The second step was to move him into a big boy bed. We decided the first thing we would do was take the side off his crib so he would get used to the idea. We talked about it for several days, and then one morning I told him we were going to take off the side. I was met by protests, cries and "No!!".

 Grayson is not a fan of big changes, and this would surely be a big one. He watched me with a look of concern on his face, but when the side was off the biggest smile I had ever seen lit up his face.
 He is thrilled with his new sleeping arrangements! We also gave him his first pillow, which he adores. He now wants to play in his room all day long just so he can play on his bed. The first thing he says when someone walks in the door is, "Grayson's room!", and he'll lead them by the hand to play in his room. Sometimes he'll just ask me to sit in the rocking chair while he lounges in bed, reading books, playing with his stuffed animals and constantly giggling. 
I have loved being able to lay him in bed at night and then kneel on the floor with him to say our prayers. He asks me to cuddle, and that means he wants me to lay my head on his pillow nearly nose to nose with him while we sing "one more song". Another part of me wants to burst into tears. He is growing up, and this was a big step towards leaving the baby stage of his life. He's now sleeping in the guest room bed when we're at my parent's house. I peeked in on him and couldn't see him at first snuggled into the pillows and blankets. He looked so tiny in such a big bed. I couldn't help but think that my baby can't possibly be old enough to be sleeping in a big bed! It's hard as a mom to face these moments and not slip into memories of  holding him as a tiny peanut of a baby, swaddled tightly in my arms. While a part of me wishes he would always stay small enough that my arms would suffice for a bed, at the same time I am so proud of the confident, sweet young boy he is becoming. I am so proud of my big boy for adjusting so well to such a big change! Now let's just see how Mommy does with all this adjusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment