Saturday, November 13, 2010

Book Page Ornaments {Tutorial}

Awhile back I became infatuated with using book pages for crafty decor. The first time I saw a book wreath was in the home of the woman we purchased Grayson's dresser from. I thought it was textural, creative and just down right awesome. When I got home I did a search and came across this gal and this tutorial. At the time I was pregnant and in full nesting mode, so I added this project to the list and made my first book wreath. A few months later I made another:
Since then I have been seeing book wreaths pop up all over the place. Recently I came across this gal who had decided to turn the book wreath idea into an ornament. LOVE!

So, I decided to give it a whirl. Here is my twist on the book page ornament:
I took pictures along the way too, so without further ado...here is my very first tutorial:

Step 1: For the rosette, tear out a page of your book and trim it down to a square. The book I was using was a trashy readers digest novel, so I decided I would spare you the romantic tryst and blurred out the words. :)
Step 2: Trim square into a circle.
Step 3: Cut page into a spiral and then go back over the spiral and add a scalloped edge on one side. This does not need to be perfect so do not measure. In fact in the end the imperfect edges create a more realistic looking rosette.
Step 4: Begin on the outside end of your spiral and begin curling.
It should look something like this once you're done curling:
Step 5: Place the tight curl in your hand and let go. Let the curl unwind until it resembles a rosette.
Step 6: Use glue (I used hot glue because I wasn't patient enough to wait for regular glue to dry) at the base of the flower to hold it together.
Step 7: Glue the rosette on a base of small twisted pieces of book pages. I also added a couple of simple leaves to my ornament. Adding a little glitter on the edges of the rosette looks great too.
Step 8: Punch a hole and string with a ribbon. You could also glue the ribbon onto the back.

These would make a great gift for the Christmas season, or you could use them on your own tree! Want more inspiration? Check out this great video on how to make paper rosettes.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! I'd buy a paper rosset from you! I'd use them as clips for my girls! LMK if you'd be interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! The book page wreath is one my list of projects to get to soon! I am using the tutorial from Jones Design Company and can't wait to hang it in my kitchen...these rosettes are beautiful! I sense a Christmas project! Beautiful as always Ky.

    ReplyDelete